I've always loved sleep. The issue was never whether I liked it or not ... it was that I could never get enough of it. I know getting the right amount makes me feel better, but I decided to do a little research and see what the "experts" had to say and here's what I found:
1) Sleep deprivation can have a huge impact on basic metabolism, with a lack of sleep slowing glucose metabolism alone by 30 to 40%.
2) It isn't just that many men are too tired to have sex, but a lack of sleep may have a direct impact on testosterone production.
3) While the link between sleep deprivation and obesity is well known, a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition proved just how much weight you can gain. It showed that among 30- to 49-year-olds, participants ate significantly more after they were sleep deprived -- 300 calories more, to be exact. Hellllllooooo gut!!!
4) Now when it comes to your skin.... many studies have shown that sleep quality impacts skin function and the aging process. Poor sleep has been linked to a disruption in the moisture barrier your skin provides, as well as UV damage repair.
5) Interesting enough, the time of day impacts your skin's behavior. For instance, at night moisture loss from the skin peaks in the evening hours and the skin's temperature is highest at night (causing increased blood flow). What does this mean to you? Well... you should look for products containing repairing ingredients (versus ones that contain protective ingredients that you would use during the day) to help enhance these processes. One such product is Fixx Advanced Repair Moisturizer that was developed to be used mostly at night to capitalize on these physiological characteristics.
Every one is different but, in my case, I find that I need a consistent 7 hours of sleep per night to look and feel my best. Now if can only find the time....